Click HERE to get your copy and learn more.
Download the Brochure:
"Don't spend your time worrying. Spend it getting better."
Click HERE to download the brochure.
Hiring a Lawyer: Avoid the pitfalls.
- When is the best time to hire a lawyer to handle my case?
- There's a big difference between obtaining initial legal advice and formally hiring a lawyer. It never hurts to obtain initial legal advice early on so you know your rights and what to watch out for.
The best time to actually hire a lawyer depends on a number of factors. If you are seriously injured or if you are possibly at fault in the accident, you should seek legal advice immediately. After discussing your case in detail with a lawyer, you may decide to wait before actually hiring a lawyer, or to hire a lawyer and wait awhile before he or she contacts ICBC.
You may decide that it would be valuable to have your lawyer hire an accident reconstruction engineer to:
- examine the vehicles before they are repaired or destroyed,
- search for debris from the vehicles at the accident scene, and
- examine skid marks at the accident scene before they disappear.
You may also decide to have someone other than ICBC interview each of the witnesses to the accident as soon as possible. We use private investigators, former adjusters or we speak to them ourselves.
The lawyer will advise you exactly:
- what you should expect from ICBC in the short term regarding income replacement, rehabilitation, household help and home care,
- what you should do and avoid doing to ensure you have the strongest possible case in the long term,
- what medical experts would be valuable in terms of both your rehabilitation and in proving your case,
- what medical experts to avoid,
- when it would be in your best interest to commence a legal action (sue the other driver).